Saturday, June 18, 2011

Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues



Willie Dixon's contribution to the blues cannot be measured. Originally from Mississippi, this upright bass and guitar player for Chicago's Chess Records penned more blues songs that are covered today than people realize, making him the blues most prolific song writer in history and one of the early founders of the Chicago Blues sound as we know it today. His songs made other people famous. Willie was content to stay in the background thumping his bass than be out in the limelight. Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Jimmy Witherspoon, Lowell Futson and Bo Diddley all made hits from the songs of Mr. Dixon. Rock Bands of the 60's and 70's covered his stuff. I remember listening to Cream and hearing "Spoonful" then looking on the record label and seeing his name as the author and wondering who's that? Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton  of the Yardbirds covered his stuff in the 60's.  Pop  Artist Johnny Rivers made a huge hit out of "Seventh Son". After Willie's death in 1992, his songs continue to be covered today by musicians all over the world. I will conclude by noting that not many people have had the honor of being recorded by Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix. .
Please check out the 1970 recording: Willie Dixon -I Am The Blues. A must for your collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment